A Saturday in early March, when it’s not quite yet Spring, but we’re oh so ready for it to no longer be winter, was a perfect day to gather at camp! Twenty-two of us did just that. Our Seeing The Forest AND The Trees event brought together folks from across our Conference, some who have been coming to camp all their lives, and some who were setting foot on Templed Hills ground for the first time. We sang, we talked, we laughed, we became new or closer friends. And most importantly, we talked about putting dreams into action.
The gathered community discussed hopes, dreams, goals, visions, and concerns. From these lists, we identified four areas of focus that call for our attention: Programming, Promotions and Marketing, Finances, and Facilities. In our next step, we created a list of people to consider as potential members of each focus group. We also identified some concrete steps that could be taken in the next 3-6 months in each of these areas that could move our ministry forward.
Our work has traditionally been guided and assisted by the Division of Outdoor Ministries, a committee that was formed to strategize, plan, promote, and help deliver the vision of Outdoor Ministries. However, this committee stopped operating a few years ago. During this time of transition and while we discern together how shared ministries will happen in the life of our Associations and our Conference, we will form 4 Focus Teams around the subjects identified by our gathering. And we will continue to grow our ministry through consistent action from these Focus Teams. Do you have a passion for one of these four areas? Would you like to be considered for one of the teams? Reach out and let us know!
Upcoming Dates for your calendar! Registration Information will be available soon.
• Friday, April 12: Summer Camp Directors Overnight
Gathering starting at 7 pm. Chili will be available any time after 5!
• Saturday, April 13, 10 am to 3 pm: Come Experience Camp!
Spend a day checking out Templed Hills at our Come Experience Camp open house. Coffee will be on. The Gaga Ball pit will be open. We’ll have a campfire burning. Tours will be available. Meet the Summer Camp Directors! Get excited for Summer Camp!
• Monday, April 15: Last day for the discounted Summer Camp registration rate!
• May 18 – 24: Camp Work Week
Plan to spend the week or just come for a few days. There’s plenty of work for all types of interests and skills. Trails will be cleared, cabins will be cleaned and painted, minor maintenance will be completed, camp will be prepared for our Summer Camping Season! Come on your own or gather a group of friends. All hands are welcome! There is no lodging fee and freewill donations will be accepted to offset the cost of meals.
Are you looking for other ways to get involved? Here’s a few suggestions:
• Register for a Summer Camp event yourself: Floating with the Spirit, Grandparent/Grandchild camp, Me and My Pal camp
• Register the children in your life: Edge, MMADD, Choir, Sports, Hand n Hand, Mission Camp offsite, Mission Camp onsite, Discovery, Explorers, Faith Adventures, Love the Pool
• Encourage your youth, grades 9-12, to consider our Youth Counselor Training program
• Be a Summer Camp Counselor! Spend an incredible week with other passionate adults and engaged campers as together we explore and grow in our faith
• Volunteer to help in the kitchen or on the maintenance crew
• Donate to the Campership Fund so we can support campers who may need assistance with registration fees
• Offer your suggestions for how you’d like to help!
Come be a part of Outdoor Ministries.
Putting our dreams into action for a ministry that matters.